For new and existing users of Alumni4Life Record and offline/in Store activities, this policy goes into effect on January 1, 2016.
Under Alumni4Life Policy
Posted: December 29, 2017
Please be aware that Alumni4Life, and all associated Services and systems, including registration, is housed on servers in the United States. If you are located outside of the United States, please be aware that information we collect (including cookies) will be processed and stored in the United States, a jurisdiction in which the data protection and privacy laws may not offer the same level of protection as those in the country where you reside or are a citizen. By using our Services and providing information to us, you consent to the transfer to and processing of the information in the United States.
Who We Are
We are Alumni4Life, LLC. We provide internet and mobile application based services including the apps linked to below:
Information We Collect
Alumni4Life collects information to operate our business and provide you with innovative gear and wellness solutions. We collect both Personal Data and Other Information in support of these efforts.
- “Personal Data” is information that can be used, directly or indirectly, alone or together with other information, to identify you as an individual Customer. This may include your precise Location Data and your Performance Data.
- “Other Information” is information that is anonymous, aggregate, de-identified, or otherwise does not reveal your identity. Some examples include age, gender, browser and operating system, time spent using our Services, and webpages visited. We collect and use this information to understand how you and our community as a whole use our Services and constantly tune, enhance, innovate and build products and services to reflect the needs of our customers. When you are using a mobile device, we also collect and use your Apple Identifier for Advertising (IDFA) and Google Advertising ID (AAID) to recognize your device and support advertising activities on our Services. These number values are not permanently tied to your device and, depending on your operating system, you can reset it through your device settings.
Generally, we do not consider Other Information to be Personal Data. Regardless, if we link together Other Information in a way that renders it individually identifiable, we will treat the combined information as Personal Data.
We collect Personal Data in the following ways:
- When you register with us, we collect registration and demographic details (.e.g., name, username and password, email address, date of birth, and location).
When you set up an Alumni4Life account, we will collect your name, username and password, email address, date of birth, and location (e.g., country). We may also collect your postal code, contact number and information about your mobile device (e.g., name of your wireless carrier and device identifier). In addition, we may collect certain demographic information at registration to tailor our Services to your needs, such as age, gender, fitness and physical characteristics, and sport preferences.
- When you use or interact with our Services, we collect Personal Data such as Location Data.
Location Data: We may collect precise location data as part of the functionality of our Services. For example, if you want to map your cycling route with one of our Alumni4Life applications and you have enabled geolocation tracking, we will collect your Location Data as you cycle along the route and produce a map for you. We collect Location Data through the Services so we can offer you certain location-based services (like route tracking described above), provide advertisements that are relevant to your geographic location, and conduct analytics to improve the Services.
We collect Location Data in several ways:
- from your wireless carrier,
- through a wearable or other device you have connected (for example, wirelessly) to our Services, and
- directly from the device on which you use our Services.
The way in which we collect Location Data is different depending on whether you are accessing the Services through a website or a mobile application. The collection of your Location Data may occur even when our Services are not actively open and running.
If you are accessing the Services through one of our mobile applications, the way we collect Location Data will differ depending on your mobile device’s operating system. In all events, we do not collect Location Data, unless you have “allowed” its collection. If you decline to allow Location Data collection in the app, we will not collect your Location Data unless you manually enter it in.
Other Information: We may collect Other Information about your use of our Services. This includes, for example, your device type, carrier provider, browser type, operating system, internet domain and host name, date and time of access as well as referring and onward URL, as well as transactional data about the activities you undertake and how you interact with the Services, such as what data is displayed, clicked on or shared, the click stream patterns, and the length of time spent on each site or page; and searches you may conduct on the Services.
Note on Connected Devices and Products: When using a wearable or connected device or product, we may collect certain information about the device or product such as serial number, Bluetooth address, UPC, or other device- or purchase-related information.
- When you connect with us through social media, we may collect account or profile information.
- When you shop or browse online, we collect purchase and browsing data.
As you browse our products online or submit product inquiries, we may collect Personal Data such as your contact information and your specific requests. We also may collect information about whether or not you completed the purchase, your purchase details, returns and other transaction information regarding your purchases, such as the product purchased and price you paid. If we are able to associate the purchases with an account you have registered with us (for example, if you use a common credit card, or provide a common email address at the time of purchase) we may add that purchase and transaction information to your account information. We also may collect Other Information when you browse our products but do not make a purchase, such as which products you added then removed from your shopping cart, the order in which you browsed and whether and how these actions appeared to impact the shopping experience. We do this using Data Collection Tools, as described in more detail below.
- When we provide you access to third-party products and services.
If you are accessing third-party products and services that we have made available to you via the Services, we may collect your name, email address, city, fitness preferences, payment information, and more, in connection with your registration for and access to those products and services. For example, we may allow you to register and pay for third-party products and services through the Services. We will only collect and share Personal Data with third parties with your permission.
- When you take surveys and enter challenges, promotions, contests, and sweepstakes, we collect contact, demographic and eligibility information.
We may sponsor contests, challenges, sweepstakes and other promotions (“Promotions”) and we may request that you provide Personal Data, such as name, address, email address, telephone number and age and other information that may be appropriate in order to participate. If you win, we also may need to collect certain tax information, waivers and releases, depending on the prize.
We may also launch surveys that ask you to answer questions about a range of topics from personal information to brand and product preferences.
Additionally, with your consent we may share your Personal Data associated with a Promotion with our business partners that sponsored or were involved with that particular Promotion.
- When we supplement your information, we collect additional Personal Data about you.
If you have registered or created an account with us, we may obtain demographic information about you from reputable third-party sources to help us improve our communication with you, give us better consumer insight into your needs and improve our business. We may combine your Personal Data and/or the Location Data with information we obtain from our Services, other users, or third parties to enhance your experience and improve the overall quality of our Services, such as providing you with a single point of sign on for our Services and/or building an account dashboard letting you understand how to access and control all the Alumni4Life Services you use from a single page. For example, we may obtain updated email address information from email-change-of-address vendors or purchase third-party marketing data and address information and add it to our database to better direct our advertising and provide pertinent offers we think you are more likely to be interested in.
- When you engage with our online communities or with advertising on the Services, we may collect Personal Data about those interactions.
We may collect your Personal Data when you engage with our online communities. This includes when you click on advertisements, interact with our social media pages, submit content, leave reviews, or otherwise enter information into comment fields, blogs, message boards, events and other community forums sponsored by or affiliated with Alumni4Life. These forums are public, so please exercise care in deciding what information and content you wish to disclose. We have the right, but not the obligation, to monitor any activity and remove content within the comment fields, message boards, events and other community forums on the Services (e.g., in order to protect other Customers).
How We Use Personal Data
Alumni4Life uses the data we collect to operate our business, advertise and provide our products and Services, improve existing products and services, develop new products and services, and to improve and personalize your experiences interacting with us. We also use your Personal Data to communicate with you and to deliver advertising that may be more relevant to you.
We use the information we collect to:
- Operate our business and provide our Services to Customers, individuals and communities
We use the data we collect to provide the Services that we offer. This includes operating, maintaining, and providing you with all of the content and features of the Services.
We also use the data that we collect for our internal business operations. For example, we use data to better understand our business, analyze our operations, improve the Services, and to develop new products and Services to support your fitness, wellness, and nutritional goals. We may also use the data to track, for example, the total number of visitors to or users of the Services, the number of visitors to each page of the Services, and the domain names of our visitors’ Internet service providers to analyze our business operations and performance.
- Personalize experiences on our Services, better understand our Customers and gain consumer insights
We use the Personal Data we collect to personalize your experience with our Services. This allows us to present products and information tailored to you, your interests and location, and to provide you with specialized route and event content based on your location. For example, some of our Services will give you the option to allow us to use your Location Data to recognize when you have entered an Alumni4Life store or Alumni4Life section and to provide you with products and information that we think may be of most interest to you (service specific information on location tracking).
We also use Personal Data to better understand our Customers and the people who use our Services. This helps us to innovate, plan and design new products, services, features and functionality that our Customers need and want.
- Provide you with access to third-party products and services
We use the data we collect to provide third parties with the information necessary to enable those third parties’ fulfillment of the products or services that a Customer has requested. We also use the data to better understand Customer preferences and to enhance our Services. In addition, we may use the data within our Services to assist Customers in meeting their wellness and fitness goals.
- Support research and academic research
We and our business partners may use the Personal Data and Other Information we collect to conduct commercial or academic research on demographics, interests, and consumer preferences to gain insights about our Customers, the products and services Customer use and also to develop innovative products and services for our Customers. This analysis may be leveraged and shared outside of Alumni4Life. Address security issues and to resolve disputes.
We use the data we collect, including Personal Data in some cases, to protect the security of our Services, employees and users, to detect and prevent fraud, to resolve disputes and to enforce our agreements and contractual commitments.
- Tailor our advertising and marketing
- Communicate with you and respond to your requests
After you have registered or created an account with us, you have a choice of receiving announcements via email, push notifications, or text message about us, our products, Services, special events or promotions. If you consent to such messages, we may use your Personal Data and Other Information to communicate with you about the Alumni4Life products or Services you have purchased or used and to notify you of other products, promotions and Services we think may be of interest to you. You can manage your communication preferences by registering for and logging into your account.
We may use your Personal Data to respond to your requests for technical support, online services, product information or to any other communication you initiate. This includes accessing your account to address technical support requests.
- Administer Promotions
We use the Personal Data we collect during contests, challenges, sweepstakes and promotions to administer the Promotion, verify identity and age, and to communicate with you about the challenge or about other offers. We also collect and use survey information to improve your customer experience and to improve our business, products, and services.
With some challenges, promotions and surveys, we may ask questions so we can conduct market research. Sometimes we will ask questions that we know our business partners are interested to learn. Other times, we will ask questions on behalf of our business partners. In these cases, we may share your responses with these business partners for their own market research and communication purposes. For example, we may ask whether you prefer coffee or tea in the morning, and share your response with our coffee company partner. To opt-out of this kind of collection and sharing, you can decline to answer these kinds of questions or decline to participate in the challenge or survey altogether.
How We Disclose Personal Data
- To Affiliates, Partners, Vendors, and Suppliers
We share Personal Data among our Alumni4Life company. We do this to run our business more efficiently and to have a better understanding of our Customers across all of our business lines.
We also work with partners, vendors, distributors, and suppliers. These third parties may have access to or process your Personal Data, but only to the extent it is necessary for them to (1) provide their products and services to us, or (2) to provide you the products and services that you have requested. For example, we may use third-party providers to assist us with marketing and advertising our products and Services, delivering customer service and support (for example, when you have a question, complaint or technical issue with your account), and for e-commerce order fulfillment.
- To Enable the Use of Our Services
Personal Data that is collected through the Services may be used or disclosed to third parties in order to enable us to provide Services. For example, the Alumni4Life website may allow you to interface with a third-party website or application, such as PayPal or FedEx.
In addition, with your knowledge and consent, our Services may gather and transfer information from other applications, functions and tools within your mobile device.
- In Community Forums
Any information you post or disclose in our community forums (for example, Facebook, WeChat, YouTube, or Twitter is public. We cannot control the use of information disclosed in community forums, such as bulletin boards, blogs, chat rooms, and networking functions of mobile applications. Exercise caution when disclosing information in these public areas, and be careful what Personal Data you disclose and how you disclose it. Content posted in our community forums, including advice and opinions, represents the views of the individuals who post that Content and such individuals bear sole and exclusive responsibility for the posting of that content. Alumni4Life does not necessarily endorse, support, verify, or agree with any content posted in our Community Forums.
As We Grow and Change – Corporate Transactions and Reorganizations may apply.
If we should ever merge with another company, or if Alumni4Life should decide to buy, sell, or reorganize some part or all of its business, we may disclose or transfer, to the extent permitted by law and in compliance with any applicable requirements to notify you, your Personal Data to prospective or actual purchasers or successor entities in connection with one of these transactions or reorganizations.
- As Required by Law and Special Circumstances
We may be required, subject to applicable law, to disclose your Personal Data if: (i) it is reasonably necessary to comply with legal process (such as a court order, subpoena, search warrant, etc.) or other legal requirements of any governmental authority, (ii) such a disclosure would potentially mitigate our liability in an actual or potential lawsuit, (iii) it is necessary to protect our legal rights or property, or (iv) it is necessary to protect the legal rights or property or physical security of others, or for the prevention or detection of crime and such disclosure is lawful.
Alumni4Life is committed to protecting the security of your Personal Data. We use technical and organizational measures designed to protect your information against unauthorized access, theft, and loss. We also recommend that you take additional measures to protect yourself and your information, such as installing anti-virus software, closing browsers after use, keeping confidential your log-in credentials and passwords, and making sure that you regularly update software and apps you have downloaded to ensure you have enabled the latest security features on your devices.
Alumni4Life will retain your Personal Data for as long as you maintain an Account or as needed to provide you the Services. We will also retain and use your Personal Data as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
How We Use Data Collection Tools and Online Advertising
- Information about Cookies
- Types of Cookies We Use
We use several different types of cookies:
- Strictly necessary cookies: these are cookies that are required for the operation of our websites. Without them, for example, you would not be able to register or log in for any Services that we may offer.
- Analytical/performance cookies: these cookies allow us to recognize and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around our websites. These helps us to improve the way our websites work, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily and do not encounter technical errors.
- Functionality cookies: these are used to recognize you when you return to our websites. Usage of cookies of this character enables us to personalize our content for you and remember your preferences (for example, your choice of language or region).
- Targeting cookies: these cookies record your visit to our websites, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. Usage of cookies of this character helps us and our Ad Partners to deliver ads or messages that are relevant to you and your interests. We may also share this information with third parties for this purpose. For example, these cookies allow us to identify and send you messages about items you have left in your cart and make other purchasing recommendations.
- Interaction cookies: because we are interested in your opinion about our brand and items, we use interaction cookies. These cookies allow us to communicate. For example, these cookies allow you to “like” us or recommend us on social media. These social media interaction cookies may collect information about your visit even though you do not interact with them.
- How We Use Web Beacons
Some of our websites and Services such as e-mail updates may contain electronic images called “web beacons” (sometimes known as one pixel GIFs, clear GIFs or pixel tags). Web beacons allow us to count visitors who have viewed content on websites or pages. In promotional e-mail messages and newsletters, web beacons allow us to count how many subscribers have read them. They also allow us to develop statistical information about the activities and features that most interest our Customers in order to provide more personalized content. We do not use web beacons to access your Personal Data without your consent.
- We Allow Third-Party Cookies
- How We Engage in Online Advertising
We display ads on websites and mobile applications that we own and operate. Through our Ad Partners, we also display ads for our Alumni4Life Company on website and mobile applications of third parties. When you visit our websites or view ads that we or our Ad Partners serve elsewhere on the web, you may see different kinds of ads, such as text next to search results or video on web pages. Sometimes, these ads are based on the content of the pages on which they appear. Other times, they are generated when our Ad Partners match the ad to your interests, as inferred from your online activities. This is known as interest-based advertising. The goal is to show you ads that will most interest you.
To meet this goal, we and some of Ad Partners use technologies like cookies and web beacons to collect information about your interaction with our Services and other third-party websites (“Online Data”). Typically, Online Data is aggregated with other data to create segments – groups of users and certain general interest categories that our advertising partners have inferred based on a variety of factors (for example, “sports fan”). Online Data can include information about:
- web pages, apps, products and services you view and links you click on when using our websites and services as well as third-party websites;
- our e-mails that you view and links you click on within that e-mail;
- whether you view or click on ads that are shown to you;
- demographic or interest data, including general geographic location;
- offline purchase data that may be combined with Online Data to create a better profile regarding your interests or purchasing preferences; and
- search terms you enter when using certain search services.
We and our Ad Partners use this Online Data to serve ads online that interest the audiences with whom we interact – including you.
In addition, our Ad Partners use this Online Data for a variety of other purposes, including (a) in conjunction with advertising that appears on our website or other websites, (b) to report website traffic, statistics, advertisement data and other interaction with ads and the websites on which they are served, and (c) to measure the effectiveness of web-based and e-mail ads.
Managing Your Privacy Settings
We provide you several ways to manage your privacy settings:
- Update your default settings for in-app data sharing
As we integrate our existing Services and roll-out new Services the default setting for sharing for Alumni4Life applications is set as follows.
- Community Social Data is set as Public. For example social posts where you have set your account up as “Follow” (in app and on the websites), community forums, public challenges (challenges set up by Alumni4Life), and photos. See our sharing standard for specific details on how to adjust these settings within our apps.
- Lookup Information is set as Public. We believe that social motivation helps you achieve your goals faster and allowing your friends to be able to find you is crucial to this experience. Therefore, your first and last name, location, gender, username, main fitness activity, and profile picture are set as Public. If you set your entire account as Private, your lookup data will no longer be available for your friends to find you. See our sharing standard for specific details on how to adjust this setting within our apps.
- Opt-out of cookies and interest-based ads
As a user of our Services, you have a number of ways you may communicate your privacy preferences to us. a. Setting your browser to reject cookies If you don’t want cookies, you can set your computer to (a) warn you each time a cookie is being sent or (b) turn off all cookies (except Flash cookies) through your browser. You may also visit www.aboutcookies.org. To find out more about how to manage or delete Flash cookies, visit Adobe. Please note that if you do not accept cookies, some features or activities may not be available to you (for example, you may not be able to complete your transaction). You may still purchase online merchandise by calling one of our customer service associates who will gladly assist you in placing your order. b. Opting-out of interest-based advertising. We support the Self-Regulatory Principles for Online Behavioral Advertising of the Digital Advertising Alliance in the US. Ads that we place online using interest-based data are expected to be delivered with the Enhanced Notice required by those principles. If you live in the United States you can visit Ad Choices (US to find a convenient place to indicate your preferences, including the option to make one “universal” opt-out of interest-based advertising with participating entities for each region. These websites also provide detailed information about interest-based advertising and tips for managing your online privacy. When you opt-out using these methods, a cookie will be placed on your device indicating that you have opted-out of interest-based advertising. If you delete your cookies, you will need to opt-out again. In addition, when you opt-out using these methods, this does not mean that you will no longer receive advertising from us, or when you use the Internet. It just means that the advertising you see displayed on websites will not be customized to your interests. c. Opting-out of interest-based advertising on your mobile device For most mobile devices, you can control the interest-based ads you see in two different ways: (1) changing the privacy settings of the device itself; and (2) changing the privacy settings of your browser. For example, iOS version 6 and above devices feature Apple’s Advertising Identifier, which allows you to “Limit Ad Tracking” by going to your device’s settings, under “Privacy” and then “Advertising.” You can also modify the settings of your browser, such as Safari, by going to the settings of that browser and under “Privacy and Security,” select “Do Not Track.” Additionally, you can click on the AdChoices link to opt-out. In addition, please note that if you use ad blocking software on your device, this may interfere with certain features and cause a disruption of service.
- Set your communication preferences
We respect your communication preferences and have created several ways for you to control how Alumni4Life communicates with you:
- Email Communication: You may stop receiving promotional email messages from us by following the unsubscribe instructions provided in any such message you receive. Please note that if you unsubscribe from “all emails” this means “all promotional emails” and you still will receive email communications from us that are not promotional in nature.
- Postal Mail: You may stop receiving promotional postal mail from us by following the opt-out instructions that may be included within those communications.
- Mobile Messages: You may stop receiving promotional messages on your mobile device by following the opt-out instructions that are included in any such message you receive.
- Push Notifications: With your permission, Alumni4Life may use push notifications to let you know about new messages or events even when you are not actively using a Service. You can manage the type of push notifications you receive from Alumni4Life by modifying the settings of your Alumni4Life applications and websites. You may set your mobile device to not allow push notifications from us.
- You may also contact us through our Support Team to indicate or update your communication preferences.
- Manage your geolocation services
Most mobile devices provide users with the ability to disable location services. Disabling location services will not allow us to collect your Location Data (by virtue of the location of your mobile device) when you use our Services and may impact the operation of a Service, for example it will not be possible to track or record exercise routes. Most likely, these controls are located in the device’s settings menu. If you have questions about how to disable your device’s location services, we recommend you contact your mobile service carrier or your device manufacturer.
- Downloading AppChoices
The DAA offers AppChoices, a separate choice tool for users to exercise control over the collection and use of data across and through mobile applications for interest-based advertising and other related uses. To exercise choice for participating companies, you can install the DAA’s AppChoices application on your mobile device.
We do not knowingly collect Personal Data from children under 13. If you become aware that a child has provided us with Personal Data without parental consent, please contact us through our Support Team. If we become aware that a child under 13 has provided us with Personal Data without parental consent, we will take steps to remove the information and terminate the child’s account.
- Residents of Mexico
By using the services you consent to the collection, use and transfer of your Personal Data (including sensitive personal data pursuant to Mexican law) for processing in the United States as described in this policy. a. Access requests Alumni4Life takes steps to keep your Personal Data accurate and up to date. If you reside in Mexico, you may request access to, modification, cancelation or opposition of the Personal Data that we have collected about you. To access your Personal Data, please contact us through our Support Team or at the address listed below. We may charge for this access service pursuant to applicable law and will respond to reasonable requests as soon as practicable, and in any event, within the time limits prescribed by law.
- Method and procedure for the destruction of personal data Alumni4Life retains your Personal Data (i) for as long as you maintain an Account or as needed to provide you the Services and/or (ii) as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements. Personal Data is destroyed when it is no longer necessary for these purposes. The specific destruction process and method are as follows: (i) Personal Data printed on the paper is shredded, burned, pulped, pulverized, or incinerated; and (ii) Personal Data stored in electronic form is deleted using technology designed to prevent the recovery of the Personal Data.
- Residents of California, United States: your California privacy rights
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits California residents to request and obtain from us a list of what Personal Data (if any) we disclosed to third parties for that third-party’s direct marketing purposes in the preceding calendar year and the names and addresses of those third parties. Requests may be made only once a year and are free of charge. Under Section 1798.83, we currently do not share any Personal Data with third parties for their direct marketing purposes. If we do decide to share your Personal Data with third parties for their marketing purposes, you may opt-out of this disclosure at any time by submitting a request to our Support Team, or in writing to:
Attention: Privacy Office, Compliance Department
17208 Russet Drive
Bowie, MD USA 20716
It is important to note that this opt-out does not prohibit disclosures made for non-marketing purposes or for purposes of assisting us with our own marketing.
Additionally, if you are a registered user under the age of 18 and a resident of California, you may request removal of content you have posted to the Services. Requests can be made to our Support Team. Please note that making such requests does not ensure complete or comprehensive removal of the content. For example, we may retain the information for our own internal records, and it is also possible that a third-party we do not own or control may copy the posting and repost it elsewhere.
Third Parties We Don’t Own or Control
How to Contact Us
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns about how we handle your Personal Data, then you may contact us through our Support Team or write to us at:
Attention: Privacy Office, Compliance Department
17208 Russet Drive
Bowie, MD USA 20716
©2017 Alumni4Life, LLC.